The inspiration for unicorn poop
It’s mulberry session at Camille’s house! I arrive and find my niece and nephew, Miiks and Wren, with faces and feet covered in mulberry stains! Sometimes I get to come visit and just be Auntie Claire. Since Rach is spending the afternoon at her Granny and Pa, today I get to be the Auntie! What do I do as Auntie Claire? I follow my niece and nephew in play of course.
Following Miiks and Wren today means mulberry picking. The whole experience of mulberry picking and eating is ideal sensory play in nature. Squishy berries on the hard ground under our feet. The burst of sweet juicy flavour as we bite into the berry. Standing on tiptoes to find the berries. The sound of the swaying branches as we pick another berry. No wonder Miiks, Wren and me spend all afternoon under the mulberry tree.
As this month’s theme is Once Upon a Time, we wanted to create a sensory play activity that was magical and messy! Introducing Unicorn Poop, inspired by the mulberries in Camille’s back garden and the hours spent outside on Summer days.
The plan for unicorn poop
We found lots of recipes for slime and gloop but most of them contained glue or borax – yuk! We needed a recipe that was non-toxic and “edible” as we know TOTS put everything in their mouths. So we experimented with a few things to make the slime colourful and safe for curious mouths.
Food colouring worked ok but there was no way we were going to send a bottle of food colouring in your beebeebox amongst the rest of our amazing TOT stuff. Next we tried the Bath Magic fiZZle, which worked great, but can’t be consumed. Finally, we disocvered powdered drink which created our desired colours, smelt amazing and was an easy option when it came to sending it out with all our TOT boxes. We have a WINNER!
Let us show you how we made Unicorn Poop!
What you need:
Big kid-friendly bowl
1 x packet of 45g flavoured powdered drink (we used amila Mixed Berries flavour)
4 T psyllium husk fibre
2 C water
How to make unicorn poop with your play expert:
- Help your play expert pour 2 C water into a big kid-friendly bowl
- Pour packet of flavoured powdered drink and stir until dissolved. Smell the deliciousness! (To prevent devouring of ALL the powder before it even dissolves, we had some mulberries nearby to snack on instead)
- Throw in the glitter and stir!
- Add the psyllium husk fibre and stir FAST. Look at those glittery bubbles! (You need to help out here with your big grown-up muscles. We found a fork or whisk worked best)
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes while you and your play expert blow up your Inflatable Play Tray OUTSIDE (or set up an outside area for messy play if you don’t have an Inflatable Play Tray)
- Pour the Unicorn Poop into the Tray and let sensory play begin!
Although we created this activity for TOTS, kids of all ages loved it! See our Unicorn Poop on a larger scale at Monaghan Montessori – The School Of Independence:
But wait, there’s more!
There are so many sensory play activities that involve glitter and sunshine. Here are some more ideas:
- Mix glitter and water in ice-trays. Once set, use ice glitter blocks to build towers.
- Mom Inspired Life inspired us to grab some blocks (whatever ones you have at home) and shaving cream. Invite your play expert to build a castle in the sky, just like in the Jack and the Beanstalk story.